The letter F is normally pronounced exactly like the F in English.
Pronunciation 1 – Normal F
At the beginning of words or ends of sentences, F is pronounced like F.
- foss, fimm, frí, gaf
Pronunciation 2 – Soft in the middle of words
In the middle of words (and at the ends of words if the next letter is a vowel), F becomes soft and is pronounced like V.
- afi, æfing, úlfur, gaf ekki, gefa
- fl in the middle of words is pronounced like bl:
- Keflavík, tafla, öflugur, nafli, fífl, kafli, sveifla
- fn in the middle of words is pronounced like bn:There is an exception to this exception that is only seen in a handful of words:
- fnd is pronounced like md:
- nefndin ([nemdin])
- fnt is pronounced like mhd (unvoiced m):
- nefnt ([nemht]), jafnt ([jamht])
- ofn, nafn, höfn, jafn, safn, efni, rifna, sofna, kartöflur
The name of the letter is “eff”, the same as in English.